Here are some thoughts on Tim Moen’s message Friday night at retreat:
- What are sucker shoots? …a vine or bud left unattended that slowly but surely sucks the life out of the tree
- When a tree has sucker shoots growing on it, it is guaranteed to die
- “How can I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?” [Genesis 39:10]
[read the whole story of Joseph in Genesis 39]
- Joseph chose to remain faithful to God above all else
- we too easily indulge in pleasing ourselves and that is what is hindering the world…Joseph did not indulge in self-pleasure
- What are things in your life that suck the life out of your spirit and spiritual life?
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!
- How do we get rid of the sucker shoots in our lives?
- You never try to do this alone… get accountability from someone who can and will continue to help you
- Never neglect time with God- read your Bible and pray!
- Sucker shoots can and will rob Christians of God’s power working in their lives- GET RID OF THEM!
- Here are some verses you can check out:
Matthew 10:38, 1 Corinthians 1:18, Philippians 3:17-21, Colossians 1:19-20,22
- Daily go to the foot of the cross…that is not literal but figurative of finding yourself in repentance [asking for forgiveness of all wrong-doing] before Jesus Christ
- The cross changes things…means choosing to please Jesus instead of our selves
- Example of someone that dealt with a “sucker shoot” in their life:
Aaron Ralston was a hiker that found himself pinned with his arm under a 1000 lb. boulder…after days of slowly dying, he finally made the hard decision to strive to live and do something. He pulled out his little pocket knife and slowly sawed through his arm- through muscles, ligaments, and eventually bone…the worst pain he said he felt was cutting through the nerve. Had he not cut off his arm he literally would have died. He hiked down a little bit and found other climbers that helped him to safety.
- As with Aaron Ralston, where do you find yourself? What are those things in your life that prevent any growth for God? What are those things that keep you pinned down in life rather than living a full life God has for you?
- Go to God and find others to keep you going!